Sunday, March 2, 2008

Especially For Youth

During this past week I found out that I will working as an EFY counselor for a few weeks when I return home from Taiwan. So what exactly does this entail? I will be a counselor over a group of eight to twelve young men between the ages of 14-15 or 16-18. I basically give devotionals every night and then I hang out with them everyday. It is nice to be cool for a week. The group below was one of my favorites, Thou Shalt Medidate. We were the smallest group at the session but we won the award for the most spirit and unity.

Although most of the kids attending EFY are excited to be there it is not always true. One of my kids pictured below wasn't interested in being there at all but after the first day his attitude got a lot better. It turned out that although he didn't always obey every rule he progressed and he ended up being one of my favorite kids to work with.

Another given at EFY is that the kids will attempt to set you up with any girl counselor they find attractive. During my last week of EFY they decided that I needed to hook up with one of my co-conselors. I attempted to ask her out but in the end it never happened. Maybe this year I'll get lucky and met the girl that I'm suppose to marry. One can only hope.

During EFY every counselor hopes that he can avoid seeing the health counselors too often but with me it was never to be so. During the first week the boy pictured below jumped down a small set of stairs and ended up landing wrong on the bottom steps. He ended up braking a part of his ankle and we had to take him to the hospital.

The next week one of my boys came up from behind one of my girls and pushed her locked knees. Usually people just buckle over but she ended up dislocating her knee and we sent her to the doctor too. Also that week I had one of my kids get a headache bad enough that he had to skip out on some events. The finally injury happened my third week when one of my boys was playing around and was going to hit another guys shoulder but instead hit his nose. Still don't know that it was really an accident but we let him get away with it. The last two week of EFY were uneventful in that regard. Hopefully this year I will be able to avoid all injuries, but that remains unforseen at this time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I loved going to EFY. It's very true that the councilors become THE coolest people around. The kids do worship them (in a non religions sense). How fun for you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard when I read your post. I couldn't believe that your groups were so accident prone, but hey it gave us health counselors something interesting to do. I have my EFY interveiw this week, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Janel said...

Congratulations! That sounds like it will be so much fun for you.

Katie said...

Good for you!

Does this mean you'll be spending some time again in the place where I had "darker days"?

Summer Hardey said...

That's AWESOME that you get to be a counselor! What a fun life you're having! Hey, what College are you going to be at? My nephew, Brandon is going to go this Summer. I can't remember where in Utah he's going. I want to say Weber. But, it's just a day time thing (you go home to sleep).

John said...

I noticed the short note about the health counselors. I was thinking about doing that this summer. Do you have any friends I could talk to about the type of work?