Friday, March 14, 2008

Challenges of Learning the ABC's

I must start off this blog by admitting that I have been sitting on my bed for the last hour trying to get motivated to find a picture and write a blog about it, but it hasn't happened so I decided to upload some videos instead. Today in KBR I decided that we could break the class up into teams and have a race to find out which team could organize the alphabet the fastest. One of the groups consisting of William, Ray, Jellen and Jasper were a little bit more excited about the prospect of the competition and beat the other team quite quickly. I thought it would be exciting to see the dynamics of the teams for yourself though. I think it presents their personality in a much better light than I ever could.

The team above was handpicked by Tony, who is on the far left. Other team members include Melody, Bairt and Michael. I had to cheat in order to allow both teams to win and I think that they enjoyed the competition. It was nice to not have to participate and get to watch them attempt to work as a team. Although after I had made sure that each team won I raced them. Of course I lost because ESL kids are so much better at the English language than I am. I suppose I never understood the joys of losing until I started teaching KBR and got to see how excited they were to win.

It turns out that the best part of Friday's class really was the game. I had planned an activity to bake sugar cookies and I wanted the kids to help mix all of the ingredients together. Turns out that is not the world's best idea. They ran around screaming the entire class period and then every time we had to add a new ingredient all of the kids would yell at me telling me it was their turn to add or mix. All in all it was a disaster but I guess I am allowed a bad day every now and again. At least I get to sleep in tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those videos are completely adorable. And so is your comment about losing.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I didn't realize you were a great cookie maker. Hmmm... so when are you going to send some cookies for me??? Anyway, I'm glad you're doing so well.

By the way, have you completed the class that you need to take so you could graduate?

I'm graduating on May 2. I can't wait!!!

jestina