I have heard quite a few interesting phrases since returning back to America yesterday and have also had a few random thoughts pass through my head as well. For those of you who don't actually believe that I have returned home I have included proof:
As I walked down the escalator to meet my family I got a little nervous and considered returning back to Taiwan. I had everything I needed to live another few months but decided to approach my family so I could at least drop off a few of the extra items I brought home with me. Somehow my family managed to grab a hold of me and that naturally led to my kidnapping and dragging home. It was at this point that the awesome comments began.
My mom asked if I had lost weight while I was gone. I told her that I probably had and that some of the people in Taiwan actually thought that as well. I thought really nothing of it at the time. But then when I returned to my house my Grandma asked if I had lost wait too. I decided that I should probably come up with a theory or two about how I lost weight, if only to convince myself. I decided that it was probably because I was sick for three days in Thailand but secretly I was hoping that maybe I had grown taller and simply redistributed my weight. Well you tell me what you think about it.
This is during my experience in Taiwan and probably the place that I should still be, but alas I am still camping out in America a few days before I head to Ephraim to be an EFY counselor.
I went to the library today and checked out the only book they have about Taiwan, which I myself requested that they purchase. This is now as close to Taiwan as I can get. So did I lose weight? Maybe a little and probably in the right places.
So other comments I have receieved include:
"You look tanner." I liked that comment.
"Where are the pictures of you riding an elephant?" Apparently there was a fued at the library about whether I had actually done it and people wanted proof, so I give it to them.
"What are you going to do with all of your free time?" I have EFY for the next two weeks. Followed by my sisters wedding. Then I might drive with a friend down to Phoenix to help her move. Then I start one of my classes and go down to BYU for education week. The next week I start my final semester at Weber State University. In additional to that I have to find a real money-making job and find a place to live in Ogden. So I might have a little free time before now and December.
"Did you already get car insurance?" No actually, but I still managed to drive my car all around town before my mother asked me this question.
And perhaps the best of all "Were you on a mission?" No I wasn't on a mission I was teaching English. This question came from on old co-worker. Apparently she forgot that a mission is two years not six months.
So am I happy to be home? No, not really, but it is a necessary part of life and I think that I will get use to it. Except for the fact that I eat lunch at a park today and I didn't see any children. It was kind of a let down.
7 comments:
My first thought as I read your blog was that you didn't have that shirt with you in Taiwan. My second was that I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that's not 100% thrilled to be back in America. Do you start EFY this Sunday/Monday?
Well, I'm glad you're home. I know you were always just an email or Skype call away, but I'm glad we'll get to see you more often. I'm sure it will be like the mission, where you have to get used to being home. Just know we're all glad you're home and we love you!
steve, i won't say i love you nor that i'm glad you are home. if you were still here i'd say i love you and i'm glad you are home. also, neither my first or second thought after reading your post is the same as Mary's. I was thinking about how many days growth you had on your face. grow the beard man. it will wake everyone up to the reality of your post Taiwan psychological meltdown.
Welcome home! I'll see you at the wedding. I look forward to more stories from you adventrues!
How sad! An empty playground!! :-( I feel for you man. I'm still getting over it and it's been 8 months. So good luck with that!
Steve, we are so glad you are home. Looks like you had an awesome time. You mom gave me you and nat's blog's. I am so excited to keep in touch. We are adding you to our friends list. You look great and we will keep in touch more. Love the Riley's
STEVE! I LOVE YOUR BLOG! THIS IS JORDYN FROM EFY! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! HAVE FUN WITH LESLIE, JUST KIDDING. THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING THAT YOU DID FOR ME! I LOVE YOU TO DEATH!
JORDYN ARNDT
Post a Comment