Since returning home less then 24 hours ago I have had thoughts cross my mind that I thought I would share with other members of my Berhan family and decided it might just be easier to write them down instead. I went to Panada Express today for my authentic American-Chinese meal and I was kind of let down when I walked in the door and didn't see any Taiwanese people. Everyone there was hispanic, it was kind of confusing.
Upon entering the LAX airport I realized that American bathrooms smell different. Maybe sweeter, maybe good, but really they do smell different.
I hate have to pay consumer taxes again. In Taiwan you saw the price of an item and that was all you paid. Now I have to have more money than the sign says in order to make a purchase. On top of that I am having trouble realizing the value of items based on the American dollar. Six dollars in Taiwan equates to about twenty cents here and six dollars in America is a lot of money to spend on a meal for lunch.
I paid for gas today and spent nearly fourty dollars on a nine gallon tank. I could have gone on six two hour train rides from my home in Taiwan to Taipei with that much money. It kind of made me sick. Not only do I have to spend money on gas, but I'll gain weight just being lazy and driving rather than biking around town.
I had tacos for dinner last night and then again for breakfast. I realized that I probably should have made them while living in Taiwan because it made me happy. It was also night to eat homemade chocolate pie which my grandma made for my mini welcome home party.
There are plenty more thoughts which have crossed my mind but I will end now. Although I would like to mention that the thought of returning to Taiwan has already crossed my mind and I believe I intend to do it sometime in the future. So that is enough for now.
::{ Florida Fun }::
10 years ago
1 comment:
Hey! I'm glad you made it back to the states!! Now you should come visit me in dc! Better yet, come do an internship here for a semester!
Post a Comment