This is Jemmy, the brother of one of my other students Harry. The first day I met him we were kind of forced to bond. We were outside playing with bubbles with a whole bunch of kids, teachers and secretaries and I looked over and saw that Jemmy had spilled bubble mix all over himself. I decided to step in and give him a hand. He didn't speak any English at the time and didn't have an English name yet. But we still had a pretty good time together.
For the first few days of kindergarten all we did was hold him and try to get him to stay in the room with us. But then the secretaries decided to buckle down and didn't allow us to hold him anymore. Since I had been doing most of the holding I recieved most of the negative attention, meaning that now he will barely even say hello to me. But it really wasn't always that extreme.
One day during my KBR class he popped in and decided to hang out for a while. I don't think he understood any of what I was saying and yet he was content enough to just hang out for a while and stare at all of us. He does look a litle confused but that is what happens when you come into a basic reading class and still haven't grasped the full concept of speaking Chinese.
Jemmy still likes to hang out during the school hours and it doesn't help that he always shows up about an hour and a half late to kindergarten. But he seems happier now and he gets to see his brother. Although Harry is a little jealous of all the attention Jemmy has managed to win over from all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment