Thursday, June 5, 2008

KBR Ghosts

Teaching a class of eight boys tends to add a new twist to every art activity which we do as a class. Usually when making an Easter basket we in the states try to put cute little bunny ears and a cotton tail on the back of a paper bag. I thought about trying to force the boys to put ears on them and then glueing tails on the bag but then I thought better of it.

Ray had worms all over it, Tony had spiders on the outside and inside. Michael loves little ghosts, the smaller the better, in fact so small that it makes it nearly impossible to glue them on.

But I continue to allow them to express their manhood as they simultaneously create amazing works of art. Bairt made a dragon that was suppose to have a design on the body but instead he drew spiders and the star of David. I'm not really sure how they go together but he managed to fit them together.

But I think the real reason they love spiders, ghosts and snails is that I continue to encourage it. Whenever we go outside I help them look for snails and then they ask me to take pictures of snails and rat skulls. So I finally decided that I would give in and design an art project where making a ghost was the final desired outcome. It went about as expected but the highlight was when we turned off the lights and our ghost came alive.

1 comment:

Erinlizabeth said...

Admit it... you're gonna miss these guys!! It looks like Jasper hasn't changed much in 6 months. ;-) I can't believe y'all are coming home! If you find out whose going to be teaching these guys, you should make them promise to start a blog. And then tell me what it is. Thanks.