Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What's in a Name?

Here in Taiwan every child is born with a Chinese name. However the custom is that whenever the full name is pronounced the family name is used first. Because Americans are not at all familiar with the Chinese language these children receive English names as well as Chinese. Most of the name are pretty decent. Take the following for example.

This is Jenny, one of the cutest kids we have in morning kindergarten. She has a full personality and she has a lot of fun. Normal American name, so no harm done. But then the names get a little scary. Dream is one of our newer students and for a girl it is a name that will work. She might not love it when she is a powerhouse broker in New York some day, but today and for the next little while it'll work.

Her cousin on the other hand is going to have a few more problems. His name is Sky. I don't know of any boy that wants his name to be Sky, especially when he grows up and decides to go into business with his best friend Stacey. I can see some problems developing. But Sky's name isn't the strangest I've heard. We have a new kid in kindergarten that hasn't been caught on my camera yet. His name is Zero. I don't know why the parents want to set their child up for failure but I guess it really does sound like a cool name. But being called Zero by your classmates probably would be tough if he turns out to be a bad student.

So now here is where things get a little tense. This is Peggy in the blue shirt with her one old-year daughter who had her birthday day. I was suppose to get a picture of just me holding the baby but she started crying before it could get taken. Anyways, Peggy's child has yet to receive her English name and today she asked if I could give her a name. She said that she wanted something special. It must be intense trying to pick a name for your own child but now I have been asked to name someone else's. So I am looking for suggestions before I have to recommend a name. Emails, facebook messages or blog comments will all do. Thanks for your help.

2 comments:

MissMolly said...

Well, my first choice is Molly. easy to say, but not too common. But it might depend on her personality. I also think she might look like a Rosie or Abby. Let us know what you choose!

Anonymous said...

Of course everyone is going to suggest their name so there is my first choice but since you probably don't want to make it too personal, how about Ashely, or Cho (from Harry Potter, she kept her chineese name, it can be done right?)