This blog is for all of you people that lie restlessly awake every night trying to imagine exactly what the Taipei Temple looks like. Rest assured, tonight will be the night you can finally sleep peacefully! We had a couple Friday off for Tomb Sweeping Festival and because of the freedom we decided to head to Taipei. We had this wonderful idea that if we did work at the temple then we could just stay in the temple housing, so we did.
Like I mentioned, we left for Taipei on Friday at about 9:20 a.m. We had to catch the 9:45 train and so we were a little rushed for time. Joseph and I decided that we should probably put our ties on before we made it to the temple, so we stop here. I got really lucky and tied the perfect length on the first try. Joseph had a more difficult time, but eventually we were able to make it over to the complex.
Whenever the church hires someone to take a picture of the temples it seems as if magically there is nothing else nearby. I am here to tell you that is not the case. Directly in front of the temple lies a beautiful gas station, as you can see. I suppose it is essential. You can meet your cars physical needs before you meet your own spiritually needs.
Along with spiritual needs we also have physical needs. Some of us need to stay warm, just like in this picture of Mary and I. I am really not exactly what I was thinking when we took this picture but I wasn't using my head. I might have been just a little too excited to hug Mary. Actually this picture is from the last time we attended the temple. I decided that I would try to redeem myself and take another picture acting a little bit more normal.
It is kind of a funny contrast. The second picture reminds me of a couple who has been married for a few years and is on one of their weekly outings to the temple and just happened to bring their camera. I do prefer the second picture and I hope that you all feel the same way too.The temple shares its space with a stake center, mission office, distribution center and everything else they have decided to put into the building. It is a nice complex except for the fact that the distribution center was closed so I couldn't pick up a Book of Mormon. I even tried going across the street to pick up a copy at the store owned by a member but the only copy they had was a display copy, so I never got one. Guess I'll just have to rely on my jumbo sized scriptures and bring them with me during my travels through Taiwan. It was a nice weekend filled with short walks to the temple from our amazing patron housing.
The beds that we got to sleep on were soft. It was kind of a different feeling because the beds we usually sleep on are hard as boxsprings. As you can see the beds were also quite close together. Luckily we knew each other and were only awake long enough to get into bed. But it was nice having a place that kind of felt like home.Of course we did more than attend the temple but I'll end this blog and eventually come back to all the other exciting things which we did. I'd give you a clue but it really would ruin the surprize. Just know that not much sleep was had and I learned how to get around on the metro all by myself.
3 comments:
You are one funny dude Steve. And you have yourself a deal on the souvenir swap! When do you get home anyways, and is there a huge "welcome home steve and wife party"? If so, we will bring chips. We will take pics of Virginia so you can convince the wife to go too;)
Why weren't you at General Conference? The temple is not a valid excuse. -Jake
I was kidding about the whole GC thing.... PS--When do you get home?
Post a Comment