So last week I got online at the Weber State career services to look for a job yet again. I had been roped into staying after school a little longer so I could wait for a friend before she had to go to class. So I began surfing and lo and behold I found out that the YMCA wanted somebody full time to help with the elementary after school program. I thought it sounded pretty good so I called up the number and found out that indeed they were hiring and interviews were that week. So Tuesday I handed in an application, Wednesday I interviewed, Thursday I sat by the phone all day and Friday I got the call. They accepted my application, background check and merger experience teaching kindergarten and elementary in Taiwan. So course they decided to send me to the ghetto of West Ogden to try and teach these kids how to be upstanding Americans. I was warned that these children would be sons and daughters of gang member and I should probably lock my car while driving to this crazy part of town. Turns out it wasn't as bad as everybody wanted me to believe it. I think I have already made life long friends with a few of these kids. Today was my second day and Hillary, an eleven-year old, asked if I would stay there forever. I didn't quite know what to say, other than that I would be there for a little while. She didn't like that answer and confessed that she indeed like me being there.
In other news at the YMCA, I joined the Hip-Hop club and began learning their little dance. It was quite exciting and the kids were impressed that I could pick it up. I did feel a little special and even managed to get myself a partner. She is a little short but she does have the energy to accomplish it. I have already seen blood, smelled sweat and comforted tears. I think this job is going to be rewarding but I have already decided that I would rather raise my own children than allow someone else to do it. It is difficult to see the trials these kids go through and only be able to do so much. But perhaps what we accomplish will be enough to give these children the energy and ability to get through life.
::{ Florida Fun }::
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment