Thursday, February 21, 2008

A few things about Taiwan

Yesterday I got a comment on one of my blogs in relation to the names of my kindergarteners. My cousin thought that it was interesting that nearly every Taiwanese child had what appear to be strictly an Anglo-American name. In reality the children really have two different names, their Chinese name and their english name. Since I have lived in Taiwan for nearly two months now I tend to take many things for granted. The things that go on around me aren't as exciting as they were at the beginning of my adventure and because of that I assume that the readers of my blog understand my frame of mind. However, there are some major differences in Taiwan, names aside that it is important to make clear.

The first and maybe even the most important: Pink is not a girl color. Everybody wears it in Taiwan and the young men even where pink ball caps with furry white coats. In America it would never fly but in Taiwan it is "fly". With that thought in mind I thought it was quite interesting when I walked into my basic reading class on Tuesday and Melody and Ray had on what looked to be the same pink shirt. I found it odd that I really could have been the same shirt and in America someone would have made fun of Ray about it.

But in Taiwan all of the student have to wear uniforms to school that really aren't at all flattering. Most of the kids wear sweatsuits and usually they come in amazing colors like purple, magenta or blue. Kids are use to wearing the funky colors and I think it kind of carries over when they grow up a bit.

Taiwanese people also love to go to the night markets. This is something I really don't understand. To me it feels like a carnival except that there are so many people you just kind of get pushed along, especially when they are held in the narrow little alleyways. It seems to be the same market no matter where you go but people still show up. There is really nothing like it, at least from what I have seen, in Utah. It feels like a swapmeet, except for the fact that they happen all the time and they seem to be selling the same food in every market. But it is fun sometimes and I have even tried a few goodies and Joseph has ridden some kiddie rides.

This is one of the more spacious markets we found during the Chinese New Year break in TaiChung. You can see Joseph of course and perhaps one of the reason I took this picture is because there were not one hundred other people who would have been in the picture too. But you can see the food stand on either side of the aisles, but they all seem to be selling the same thing so I don't understand how they stay in business.

However, some stores have figured in out. This particular, women's accessories, store has some merchandise on the street and then they open up the rest of the shop to the street for easy access. Maybe they do business, or it could all be for show. So by now you are probably wondering why I took the picture and had the belt on in the first place. Unfortunatly I don't remember the answer to either question but I do now that the belt almost broke when I tried to take it off. I still haven't managed to buy any clothing at the night market's or even in Taiwan. The following picture might explain why.

When we first walked by this thing we had no idea what it was. But then after a second glance we realized that people can try clothing on in this tiny stall. Joseph got in for the picture but a little while later we saw the curtain moving around and we assumed that someone was changing. It would be a little strange having the whole world watch as you try on a pair of pants or a sweater with a tiny neck. I thought that the real stores would have real changing rooms but it turns out that a few still have these space effective curtains.

There is still a lot about Taiwan that I do not understand but I am trying to figure things out and hopefully as I discover the reasons for the ways things are done here I can share it with ya'll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the name clarification. That makes a lot of since.
I really like the belt though. Maybe you should go back and purchase your first article of Taiwanese clothing.
By the way, all the snow here misses you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,
I like your blog posts. You're cool. I'm glad we're friends.
Love,
-Mary

Lorraine said...

Dear Steve,
Joseph in the "dressing room" on the street reminds me of a scene from Karate Kid.

And it makes me laugh out loud.

This is Mary's sister. I'm sorry I don't really remember being your EFY counselor.
Love,
Lorraine